Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Verboden Vondelpark

Again I take you with us, dear reader, on our adventure in the city of Amsterdam. Weather was brewing about the time we made our way to the safety of another famed museum, the Rijksmuseum. This museum was one which had been closed for more than a decade for renovation, it's paintings spread across the world in the meantime. While we walked the halls, the wind did gust and howl, a windstorm of hurricane force knocking at the front door.


The Night Watch, a grand work by Rembrandt, a master of light and shadows, prominent in a great hall of the Rijksmuseum. It may look quite small beside me, dear reader, but let me assure you my placement in this photograph does not do the work justice. I am a very small sea mammal, and my position has skewed your perspective, for which I offer my profound apologies.

I did also wish to show the works of Vermeer that I humbly gazed upon, yet no photograph would do that dear master of light justice, so of that I refrained.


Then! Shock and surprise as we left the calm, controlled and regulated air and environment of that place of great masters. The great winds had left our Amsterdam in a state of disarray. Trees uprooted, trams out of service from downed power lines. No trains at all! Unfortunate, tragic deaths by that cruel mistress nature. Even the Vondelpark had been sealed.


As we traveled by foot the long path back to Boogaard's, we did pause and pay our respects to Miss Frank.


Then, to calm this storm-weathered seal's mood after such an eventful day, some chocolates are certainly the treat to have.

Tomorrow I have a change of scenery to share with you, dear readers. Another adventure, another journey, and the return to the City of Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment