Monday, November 4, 2013

Montmartre Art

I write to you of my Paris travels once again, dear reader. It has been several days since my last missive, unfortunately this humble seal of yours did come down with a slight malady of which I needed to recover. Nothing serious, mind you, but a seal who has lost his bark is a sad thing, and I do wish to be my best for you.


I ventured by Paris metro to the 18th arrondissement with mentor. There are many lines of the underground here, perhaps less easily navigable than other metro systems in other cities, but it does make me feel like I am joining the locals of the city.


Between the metro stop of Abbesses and the top of Montmartre, what I do not show you, dear reader, are the number of stairs. The number is many. Very many. But the reward is the church, Sacre Coeur, and the view of Paris from it. Only I did forget to take one of those photos so I do hope you may at this point be able to trust me that the view from this cathedral is spectacular.


Although I may not recommend being in this arrondissement alone at night, as it is a rather gritty region of Paris, it is not without its charm. Every city, grand and less grand, has areas that are unkempt, it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise, especially in a city with such age and history. Montmartre itself has become over its history as a sort of haven for street art and artists.


Finally, allow me to introduce to you Mr. Pehyeb, a fine artist who lives in Normandy much of his time, and often comes to Paris to display and sell his oil paintings. He allowed me to take a photo with him after my mentor haggled with him for a fine piece of his. I do hope to meet him again on my next excursion up the stairs of Montmartre.

I have great respect for those who make their living in art, dear reader, for although there is much talk of museums and paint in these memoirs, I myself can only paint with words. Flippers are unfortunately not conducive to paintbrushes, but I do hope to manage some beauty with a keyboard.


No comments:

Post a Comment